Fire Alarm Pull Station

YOUNG EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello!

2- Questions.

1- Currently have a Fire Alarm Design which has the Pull Station is approximately 7-10 feet away from the exit door. I understand the NFPA 72 states Pull Stations should be 5 feet away from exit door. However, I believe there is an exception within NFPA 72 that states Pull Station could be relocated more than 5 feet away during a retrofit or if construction will cost high in value. I just don't remember where in the code it states that. Please advise.

2- Is it appropriate to have a splice within a Fire Alarm System. I understand the NFPA 72 is okay with it. However, would like to see if any of you more experienced folks would be fine with it.

In my opinion, I prefer not to be with it because a short would most likely be caused within the Spliced Location and afraid if the appliance would not be functional during an emergency event.

Your guys assistant is much appreciated.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only exception is for "grouped doors"
Manual fire alarm boxes shall be mounted on both sides of grouped openings over 40 ft (12.2 m) in width, and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of each side of the grouped opening.
I see no issue with a splice as the fire alarm circuit is required to be supervised.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The only exception is for "grouped doors"

I see no issue with a splice as the fire alarm circuit is required to be supervised.
Agreed. If you have a short in an alarm device circuit, you'll get an alarm on a conventional system and a trouble on an addressable system.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the system I'm helping ElectKerwin with, there is no building alarm system, nor is a horn/strobe needed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What exactly is the scope of work? Is this commercial or residential?
Commercial kitchen, about 40' of hood, two exhaust, one make-up, all 3ph blower motors.

All gas appliances, mechanical valve, plus three (two 120v, one 208v 1ph, 20a) receptacles.

There's not even a night-mode thermostatic heat sensor probe above the grease catchers.

There is also a separate pizza oven in another area that has only exhaust, no suppression.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Commercial kitchen, about 40' of hood, two exhaust, one make-up, all 3ph blower motors.

All gas appliances, mechanical valve, plus three (two 120v, one 208v 1ph, 20a) receptacles.

There's not even a night-mode thermostatic heat sensor probe above the grease catchers.

There is also a separate pizza oven in another area that has only exhaust, no suppression.
You need some sort of notification when the system operates. I assume we're talking about a new suppression system, or at least a recent one.