Fire Alarm Requirements in existing school classroom

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Is there any code requirements to have smoke
detectors installed in regular classrooms. I look at NFPA 101- Section 15, cannot find that requirement

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Thanks, thats what I figured but needed another response
Did you check your state education department code? NYS Education Department requires smoke detectors in student occupied areas to include classrooms and student toilets.

ron

Schools are typically Group E from the Building Code. Look in the adopted Building Code in Article 907.

Most Group E doesn't require smoke detectors, only manual with occupant notification.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Is there any code requirements to have smoke
detectors installed in regular classrooms. I look at NFPA 101- Section 15, cannot find that requirement
This is a question that needs more information,,,,, Public or private ? what age group? this may not qualify as a "school" and can change the answer. Does this fall under an "E" occupancy ?

305.1 Educational Group E​

Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by more than six persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.

Exception: [SFM] A residence used as a home school for the children who normally reside at the residence. Such residences shall remain classified as Group R-2, or Group R-3 occupancies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Schools are typically Group E from the Building Code. Look in the adopted Building Code in Article 907.

Most Group E doesn't require smoke detectors, only manual with occupant notification.
In New York, you need to also look at the SED standards.