Fire Alarm school with voice system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

We are designing a school with voice evacuation included in the fire alarm system. The whole school is getting voice (though this exceeds the code). We routinely send a signal to the PA system disabling it in the event of fire such you do not end up with the Fire Department directing people one way and, say the principal, telling them something else. In general even if their saying the same thing, you don't want multiple sources directing traffic.

The principal at this particular school is insistent that the PA system not be disabled. He wants to be able to communicate via it, in case of any emergency.

The question is this. Does it say anywhere in NFPA 72 or elsewhere that the PA system must be surpressed. Or is this strictly a best practice?

thanks,

Mike

bwyllie

I believe there is specific code language that says that the FA system must take precedence over any other PA system in a building. Not sure if its NFPA or MA State bldg code or both. Don't have my code books will have to look on Tuesday.

jtester

If the voice evacuation isn't required, then overriding the PA probably isn't required either. On the other hand, as the designer you might be called upon to explain why you didn't override it, and "cause the principal didn't want me to" probably wouldn't hold up in court.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.