fire alarm sequence of operation matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

lielec11

So I've been designing fire alarm systems for years now and all of them typically includes either a written sequence of operation or a sequence in matrix format. Now since I work for mid size companies, these types of things have been documented long ago and usually just get copied over from one job to the next.

Shame on me for not asking sooner, but is this sequence the same for all buildings (all other things equal)? For example, if I have a 5 story multi-family building in NY, will the matrix be the same as a 5 story multi-family building in AL? Is this determined by the local AHJ or Fire Code? Is it taken directly from NFPA 72?

Thanks...

luckylerado

So I've been designing fire alarm systems for years now and all of them typically includes either a written sequence of operation or a sequence in matrix format. Now since I work for mid size companies, these types of things have been documented long ago and usually just get copied over from one job to the next.

Shame on me for not asking sooner, but is this sequence the same for all buildings (all other things equal)? For example, if I have a 5 story multi-family building in NY, will the matrix be the same as a 5 story multi-family building in AL? Is this determined by the local AHJ or Fire Code? Is it taken directly from NFPA 72?

Thanks...
There are code minimums for sure but this will also vary depending on the jurisdiction. For example I have had an AHJ insist on a general alarm for CO detection which although not required by code was indeed required by AHJ.

lielec11

There are code minimums for sure but this will also vary depending on the jurisdiction. For example I have had an AHJ insist on a general alarm for CO detection which although not required by code was indeed required by AHJ.

I figured that. So the code minimums as far as what signals (trouble, supervisory, etc.) are annunciated are straight from NFPA 72 or somewhere else? If NFPA 72, is there a sample matrix that covers this for me to compare?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Thanks...

NY and NYC both follow the IBC (with amendments) so will have similar requirements as NJ which also follows the IBC. If Alabama follows the IBC the answer to your question is generally "yes". That said, as luckylaredo points out you may get some local amendments. NY lets any metropolitan area over 1,000,000 (IIRC) write it's own code. NJ does not. I don't know about AL.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Ok great, because that's exactly what I've been providing on my drawings. Thanks all!

Well, I hope you've been tweaking it for each installation, unless everything you do is exactly 3 stories high! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.