Fire Alarm - Smoke Detector for fire door release

Chris Yan

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi all,

I'm working on a project with horizontal exits that need to be released by the smoke detectors installed nearby. Today City's reviewer stated that based on NFPA 2019 17.7.5.6.3, The smoke detector shall be listed for releasing service. I've gone through several manufacturer's websites and can't find any smoke detector with that special specification. Does anyone know which specific smoke detector meets with Code's request?

Thanks,

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hi all,

I'm working on a project with horizontal exits that need to be released by the smoke detectors installed nearby. Today City's reviewer stated that based on NFPA 2019 17.7.5.6.3, The smoke detector shall be listed for releasing service. I've gone through several manufacturer's websites and can't find any smoke detector with that special specification. Does anyone know which specific smoke detector meets with Code's request?

Thanks,
Are the doors being released directly by the smoke detector (relay base kind of deal) or is there an addressable relay module that releases the doors?

Chris Yan

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are the doors being released directly by the smoke detector (relay base kind of deal) or is there an addressable relay module that releases the doors?
Yes, the doors are released by the relay module. The relay module shall be activated by the smoke detector. Does that mean that the smoke detector doesn't directly release the door?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes, the doors are released by the relay module. The relay module shall be activated by the smoke detector. Does that mean that the smoke detector doesn't directly release the door?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! Since the detector is dropped into the input group for control module, it isn't directly releasing the door. You could have any number of inputs, some not heat detectors, if you wanted.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Are these to be standalone, or are they to be connected to a system? If connected to a system, the make and model would be helpful as well as hearing whether this is new construction or retrofitting an existing facility.