Fire alarm strobes in large storage room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Is a notification appliance of any kind required in a large storage room (in this case just shy of 1000 square feet). And if so, would they need to be installed in accordance with NFPA 72 such that for example 75cd strobes cover a 40 by 40 area (so as to maintain the minimum level of light within that area?

Thanks,

Mike

smoothops10

Occupation
EE
From what I recall off hand, NFPA 72 scope is pretty clear that the standard doesn’t define where fire alarms are required but where they are installed, the installation is subject to all NFPA 72 requirements.

As for the first question, I’d make the architect answer it. I know it can be like pulling teeth but IMO it should be them when in doubt.

Not sure any of that helps. Good luck.

mshields

correct about 72

correct about 72

It's definitely not 72 you are correct, that tells you where they are needed. 72 tells you how to do it when it is required.

We go by NFPA 1 with MA amendments and by IBC 15 with MA amendments. It would be in one of those documents. I shall have to go digging.

smoothops10

Occupation
EE
Mike, my point is:

is the room normally occupied?
is it part of required egress path?
is it factory high hazard H-1 or F-1 per IBC?
are egress path distances with the shelving in compliance with codes?
are sprinklers required because the answer to question above is no?
etc.

none of these should be for the electrical guy to answer.

topgone

IIRC, for a 40'x40' non-sleeping area, you need to just place 2- 30 cd strobes or 1 (one) 60 cd strobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.