Fire Alarm System for Healthcare Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradox413

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I am working on a renovation for a healthcare facility. I have the original drawings for the building. The fire alarm system is strange to me cuz there are only strobes and pull stations at exits. Not every room/space is covered. Some ceiling mounted or wall mounted strobes are here and there. The spaces are sprinklered btw. And there are wall mounted CO detectors all over the space.
I have designed for business offices with all area covered. This really got me. Should I just demo the existing ones?
If anyone can provide a code section that I can take a look, I appreciate it.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
The requirements for fire protection might be covered under the DCA Fire Code section in New Jersey. The NEC covers certain aspects of it but not the details in terms of sprinklers, detectors, alarms and strobes.

paradox413

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The requirements for fire protection might be covered under the DCA Fire Code section in New Jersey. The NEC covers certain aspects of it but not the details in terms of sprinklers, detectors, alarms and strobes.
Thanks for the reply. The job is in upstate New York.

paradox413

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just realize the rules are the same but the spaces are crowded with small rooms instead of office open spaces which is why much less strobes are needed. The paranoid is on me.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You can look in NFPA 72 (now the 2016 edition for NYS) under Private Mode Notification (18.4.4 and 18.6) for a possible rationale for the dearth of notification appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.