Fire alarm systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have fire alarm system visual device in operating room. Does NEC 2014 Section 760 or else where in NEC require visual device or any other fire alarm device in operating room?

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC doesn't mandate any particular manner of alarm, just the rules for interconnecting them and powering them. Other codes handle that, however. The International Fire Code and the International Building Code (which are the basis for many local codes) mandates visual alerts, for example. Maryland does require the local jurisdictions to adopt the 2018 International Building Code (possibly with local amendment).

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have fire alarm system visual device in operating room. Does NEC 2014 Section 760 or else where in NEC require visual device or any other fire alarm device in operating room?
I'm surprised that there would be notification appliances in an operating room. The last thing I'd want is my heart surgeon getting startled by a temporal 3 signal going off at 95 db while repairing an aortic transection. Hospitals usually use private mode notification.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm surprised that there would be notification appliances in an operating room. The last thing I'd want is my heart surgeon getting startled by a temporal 3 signal going off at 95 db while repairing an aortic transection. Hospitals usually use private mode notification.
Amen to that. I speak from experience having a surgeon say "opps" during angioplasty

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer

And thus this post but you also don’t want to fire to be so bad that their is no notification and get damage by fire either if their is emergency fire.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There's a ton of stuff in the fire/building codes that cover health care facilities and different spaces within it. If your alerts go to "constantly attended" locations that are close enough. NFPA 72 provides guidance apparently (it's referenced in the IFC, maybe when they turn on my NFPALink access in a few weeks I can see what that says).

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There's a ton of stuff in the fire/building codes that cover health care facilities and different spaces within it. If your alerts go to "constantly attended" locations that are close enough. NFPA 72 provides guidance apparently (it's referenced in the IFC, maybe when they turn on my NFPALink access in a few weeks I can see what that says).
What you describe is "private mode" notification.

Status
Not open for further replies.