Fire Alarm Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K.

I have an addressable fire alarm system which is run in PVC conduit parallel to a 277v lighting conduit which is also in PVC. We have been getting troubles on the system. Is there an induction problem with conduits running parallel to each other?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
While I'm far from a fire alarm systems expert, I'm leaning towards no... but that's not to say there isn't a possibility. Without more information it's hard to assess. Even with more information it would be difficult to assess from here. What are the troubles reported as? ... power supply errors, or no answer devices? Are the troubles continuous or intermittent? Does the system log show the times the trouble occur and how do those times compare to lighting usage on the pertinent circuits? Can power to the lighting be shut off, or can you temporarily jump around and away from the suspected section of the data loop to test your theory? Approach it in a logical manner and you will find the problem...

Edgreer

Addressable FA system

Addressable FA system

To reply to you question on 277 and the FA SLC loop in parrel. i hope their not in the same conduit as that is against code under 700. if the loop (SLC) in not shielded as many are required by the factory then the false alarms cou ld be from the signal data being scrambaled. This is very possible if the false alarm is not the same device. but is all over the system. Induced AC will cause this issue a possible soloution is a SLC noise filter like the Notifier SLC filter.
Ed Greer
Alarms Systems
Commercial Fire Inc.

ed downey

I am no fire alarm expert either but I did have this issue on a project once.

I have had the issue on a rofftop unit shutdown circuit inducing voltage on the fire alarm data circuit. This caused various troubles throughout the facility. After we changed to a shieled conductor for the shutdown circuit to the rooftop this issue went away.

-Ed

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Induction from the adjacent 277 is likely. A shielded cable would be a good first step to correct. There are foil and braided shield cables, foil is 100% coverage. I would suggest calling Beldon and get a recommendation on the cable type.

orgonfire

What model Notifier and how old.. ? first thing I would do is check the maintenance logs. Most anolog smoke detectors compensate for dirtiness by adjusting their sensativity. You can check all installed anolog smokies for the drift values via the menu and look for devices with high values. A good maintenance schedule with cleaning and testing can prevent nuisance false alarms. What enviroment are the devices subject to.. ? Depending on location, changing the smoky type (ion or photo) or if code permits, replacing the smoky with a heat detector. Most inductance affected SLC loops will cause a trouble or invalid reply issues. Just be aware, powering a Notifier smart system down for a few minutes will cause ALL anolog smokies to return to their default sensativity levels, and if they were dirty.. ehehehehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.