Fire Alarm Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defenestrator

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello,

I am a specifying engineer, I was told to look for training on designing fire alarm systems and I have $400 budget to spend on training.

I looked into the NICET training, but that seems more geared towards the installer/contractor/maintenance side.

Are there any good training sources? Preferably online?

Thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hello,

I am a specifying engineer, I was told to look for training on designing fire alarm systems and I have $400 budget to spend on training.

I looked into the NICET training, but that seems more geared towards the installer/contractor/maintenance side.

Are there any good training sources? Preferably online?

Thanks

NICET training is valuable as a way to grasp the process. A thorough knowledge of installation and maintenance can help you spec what your customer needs rather than sticking him with bells and whistles that simply add cost to the end user and profits to the manufacturer. In addition, if you are or intend to go into the design side and do not have a PE, lots of specs require a NICET III or IV certificate holder as the lead designer. In fact, we are seeing more specs that push NICET qualifications regardless of the engineer holding a PE.

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
Are you looking for just general fire alarm basics and how they work? If so, Potter has some good free info. https://www.pottersignal.com/ Under the "Training" heading.

You can also do some basic online sessions on Firelite and Silent Knight websites.

Defenestrator

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you looking for just general fire alarm basics and how they work? If so, Potter has some good free info. https://www.pottersignal.com/ Under the "Training" heading.

You can also do some basic online sessions on Firelite and Silent Knight websites.

yes, basic training. I browsed those websites and they all have training for their specific hardware/software but not basic stuff.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
yes, basic training. I browsed those websites and they all have training for their specific hardware/software but not basic stuff.

Usually their courses cover the basics as well. You can also go to System Sensor's web site. They have a number of white papers that go over the basics of smoke detection, duct detectors, notification appliances, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.