Fire Alarm Wiring in Cable Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris3585

I was always under the impression that fire alarm wiring could not be in the same cable tray as other low voltage cabling. I have permitted contractors to strap the fire alarm cabling to the bottom of the cable tray, it just could not be inside the tray. Is this required by a code or standard? I can not find any requirement for Power Limited fire alarm circuits to be separate from other low voltage systems in the NEC.

Thank you,

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
See 760.139. PLFA circuits are specifically permitted to be installed with other low voltage cabling in many cases.

Chris3585

I did see that section. I have a contractor on a project that did not follow my spec to locate all the fire alarm wiring in conduit. The architect wanted all the low voltage wiring to be white (or light grey) to blend in with his exposed ceiling. The contractor ignored the spec and installed the fire alarm wiring exposed, but did use white fire alarm wiring to appease the architect. He then routed the fire alarm wiring in the cable tray with all the other white low voltage cabling. I worry that it may be difficult to track down cabling issues in the future when the fire alarm wiring is so difficult to identify and was surprised that this installation appears to be permitted by code.

Status
Not open for further replies.