Fire Alarm Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
What is the determining factor that allows/prohibits speaker/strobe circuits to be in the same conduit as the smoke detector loop on an addressable system? NAC Panels are also used. Code articles would be helpful.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What is the determining factor that allows/prohibits speaker/strobe circuits to be in the same conduit as the smoke detector loop on an addressable system? NAC Panels are also used. Code articles would be helpful.

If the speaker/strobe circuits are power-limited you're probably going to be able to run them in the same conduit as the detector loop, local amendments to the national codes not withstanding. The other factor would be does the system manufacturer prohibit running in the same conduit? Even though it's not code per say, the manufacturer's installation instructions are part of the system's UL listing.

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
If the speaker/strobe circuits are power-limited you're probably going to be able to run them in the same conduit as the detector loop, local amendments to the national codes not withstanding. The other factor would be does the system manufacturer prohibit running in the same conduit? Even though it's not code per say, the manufacturer's installation instructions are part of the system's UL listing.

what determines if they are power limited?

DHkorn

Ask for the 'wiring compatibility guide' or similar that comes with the panel. It will go into great detail on when and how mixing is allowed. In my experience it's been pretty consistent. Either the speakers or the slc (data) loops will have to be shielded.

Usually, in my jurisdiction when conduit is required our power limited circuits are usually re-classified as non-power limited circuits because we choose to install them using chapter three conductors.

nhfire77

Usually, in my jurisdiction when conduit is required our power limited circuits are usually re-classified as non-power limited circuits because we choose to install them using chapter three conductors.

Are you actually reclassifying circuits or just choosing to employ a NPLFA wiring method on a PLFA circuit?

Most if not all FACP's do not allow the reclassification of a power limited circuit on a FACP, it would remove the UL listing, as that would be a design change.

iwire

Staff member
Are you actually reclassifying circuits or just choosing to employ a NPLFA wiring method on a PLFA circuit?

Most if not all FACP's do not allow the reclassification of a power limited circuit on a FACP, it would remove the UL listing, as that would be a design change.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.