Fire Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomski

I have just begun teaching at our local Apprentice Training Facility, and I am currently teaching our Low Voltage Apprentices Fire Alarm Systems. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good teaching aids for this subject. Specifically videos, Power Points, books and the likes. if you have any leads on this inforamtion please let me know. Thanks

dnem

I'm in the same boat as you are. . I start the new school year next week. . I don't hit Fire Alarm until 4th quarter but would love to get a jump on better info as soon as possible. . The current curriculum for FA that I have is weak. . I taught it last year and wasn?t thrilled with it.

tomski

Fire Alarm

This is comforting to know that I am not the only one. Our texts are the same, weak and very vauge. Any information that can help improve these Apprentices is a great asset to the industry.

peter d

May I suggest that, if possible, you do a mock up of a fire alarm system on a piece of plywood? I think this can be a very powerful teaching tool that will help make the theory that you teach in the classroom become reality in the lab.

It doesn't take much - a cheap panel, a few devices, some plenum cable or EMT, and you can even plug it in and make it work.

If I was going to teach FA systems, I would revolve it around the mock up rather than a bunch of theory they are going to forget.

dnem

peter d said:
May I suggest that, if possible, you do a mock up of a fire alarm system on a piece of plywood? I think this can be a very powerful teaching tool that will help make the theory that you teach in the classroom become reality in the lab.

It doesn't take much - a cheap panel, a few devices, some plenum cable or EMT, and you can even plug it in and make it work.

If I was going to teach FA systems, I would revolve it around the mock up rather than a bunch of theory they are going to forget.

Coincidentally I just heard the same suggestion from a member of the apprentice board that I talked to today.

bccodes

bccodes

bccodes

In my ADT days I came across some books from System Sensor. Some good solid theory and tech info and almost no advertising .They package them beside the sales stuff instead of with it Call them at 1 800 736 7672.
I think the document number is A05-1003-002 for the smoke detector book

dnem

bccodes said:
In my ADT days I came across some books from System Sensor. Some good solid theory and tech info and almost no advertising .They package them beside the sales stuff instead of with it Call them at 1 800 736 7672.
I think the document number is A05-1003-002 for the smoke detector book

I called them, they're sending me a packet of 25 of the booklets. . After I get them and look um over, I'll post tell you if it's better than what I already have. . I'll venture a guess now that it is. . The books I have now are pretty useless.

Thanks for the lead.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.