fire alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

What type of fire alarm device?

Smoke detectors don't work there very well because of the humidity and chlorine. A weatherproof heat detector might be ok but needs to be spaced per NFPA 72 and its listing. Spacing will need to be reduced per NFPA 72 for ceiling heights over 10?. Generally a fixed temperature heat detector is spaced at 25 -30 feet on a 10' ceiling and a rate of rise heat detector is spaced at 50'. The spacing is normally in the install docs.

oad

fire alarm around pool

fire alarm around pool

Its a weather proof fire alarm strobe in a drop cellind above indoor pool

nhfire77

smoke rises, so dont worry about anything underwater

I don't believe the code addresses this, but the terminals will corrode eventually. That's what testing and inspection is for. I would recommend to the customer that it all devices in the area be removed and inspected for corrosion. I don't know if this is code compliant, but, I have seen dielectric gel on terminals and WP wire nuts used in pool areas to slow down the corrosion.

I just moved (replaced) an FACP for a clubhouse/pool house. They were storing all the pool chlorine under the panel. The integrated DACT phone jack terminals are gold coated. Gold freely corrodes in the presence of chlorine I learned. It took 7 years for it to finally fail though.

I used all PVC conduit for relocation, and at the old FACP location has a 6x6x6 PVC JB and all the connectors are WP, as I do not want them to corrode.

Stallzer

Many factors here. More information please.

1. Candela Rating of the strobe
2. Size of Pool area.
3. Ceiling Height.
4. Local code requirements.
5. Building classification.

They do manufacture weather-proof Audio / Visual devices.

http://www.federalsignal-indust.com/default.asp?pageID=4&lookup=2401

This is one example of a hazardous location strobe. You may find others. I would suggest calling Federal Signal sales support in an effort to get something that will last in the environment, and make clear it is for a fire alarm system. This one draws a lot of current for a fire alarm device.

Discussion with the AHJ is crucial. You may propose to simply provide a strobe device at each door that accesses the pool.

Keep in mind that NFPA 72 allows for equivalent facilitation with regards to occupant notification....which simply means, you may be able to provide adequate visual notification while not necessarily following the prescriptive requirements of the notification appliance chapter of the Fire Alarm Code.

Using non-traditional strobes such as that referenced may require "Fire Alarm" placards adjacent to the device to make clear its intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.