Fire Doors and Auto Doors in Hospitals - smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I realize that it can vary from state to state, but per NFPA 72, NFPA 101 and or the IBC, what is the general rule for smoke detectors relevant to fire doors. I believe that you need them within 6 feet on either side.

Now about about a non-fire door that is normally closed and in a corridor (typically controlled with paddles on either side), what is required for these? Should they be treated as through the end of a corridor and therefore a maximum of 15 feet from the door.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I realize that it can vary from state to state, but per NFPA 72, NFPA 101 and or the IBC, what is the general rule for smoke detectors relevant to fire doors. I believe that you need them within 6 feet on either side.

Now about about a non-fire door that is normally closed and in a corridor (typically controlled with paddles on either side), what is required for these? Should they be treated as through the end of a corridor and therefore a maximum of 15 feet from the door.

I thought it was 5 feet. In many places they want them on both sides of the door, but I do believe you are correct that it is one side. A normally closed door , you are basically correct, but since it is not an open space, generally a narrow corridor the actual max distance is .7 time the coverage diameter, or 21 feet to the furthest corner. So the narrower the corridor the further apart. This counts for the coverage along the entirety of the corridor.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If its a fire door on a mag holder, you need a detector near the door (not sure of the distance). Edit: Actually the distance is listed right in front of me - 5' max, but not less than 12" from the door.

However, there is an exception if the entire area on both sides of the door has complete detetctor coverage. Then you just need to follow the standard detector spacing.

Detectors may be required on each side of the door depending on the ceiling heights and the door head height. If the head height is less than 24" on both sides of the door (say a 7' door and 9' ceilings), then one ceiling mounted detector on one side of the door is enough.

I'm looking in an older 2007 NFPA 72, and its all covered in 5.16.6 "Smoke Detectors for Door Release Service".

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As has been pointed out, the max distance is basically 5 feet for smoke detector releasing of smoke/fire doors. Whether or not a detector is required on both sides depends on the configuration. This also assumes that you are not using complete coverage smoke detection. See the Appendix notes for the section based on your code edition.

If the door is on a mag holder, it isn't a non-fire door, and the same conditions as above apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.