Fire Pump Considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrics

Hello, I want to learn the points as regards the fire pump motors protection and feeders (with ATS of course).What are the most important issues in youe view??

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Hello, I want to learn the points as regards the fire pump motors protection and feeders (with ATS of course).What are the most important issues in youe view??
One point that comes immediately to mind is there should be no overload protection...........

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Yeah, also cited in some codes that transformer (if there is )should have no secondary protection...

I don't see why that would be a problem. The trans had primary OL protection.

But what about the gen-set huh.??????

Probably be better just to install a diesel fire pump.

After 9-11 I am surprised they even allow new fire pump installations that are not "stand alone"

topgone

I don't see why that would be a problem. The trans had primary OL protection.

But what about the gen-set huh.??????

Probably be better just to install a diesel fire pump.

After 9-11 I am surprised they even allow new fire pump installations that are not "stand alone"

After Katrina, we also found out that fuel for the engine-driven pumps is hard to come by and we can't have our pumps running. The same results with what you are complaining about!

There will always be a point where one choice is a better decision than the other IMO. If your pocket is deep, why not have both arrangements? Huh?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
After Katrina, we also found out that fuel for the engine-driven pumps is hard to come by and we can't have our pumps running. The same results with what you are complaining about!

There will always be a point where one choice is a better decision than the other IMO. If your pocket is deep, why not have both arrangements? Huh?

I'm not happy about a lot of the choices made around here to power critical loads in the event of an emergency. Seems like they are designed to handle a failure of local electrical distribution, but not a true emergency situation.

And the problem with diesel is most of the owners never even think about taking care of their fuel. If you have long term storage you really need some kind of polishing system in place.

Lady Engineer

I've done several fire pumps, but this is the first I've done in a while. Good Lord, I'm glad for this refresher.... :p

You should tap ahead of the main on your service, and connect directly to the fire pump controller.

Also, size the primary of the a dedicated transformer to the LRA/LRC.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
One point that comes immediately to mind is there should be no overload protection...........
electrics said:
Yeah, also cited in some codes that transformer (if there is )should have no secondary protection...

That is not exactly true.
Short circuit protection is required, while the running overload protection needs to be above LRA.

The code book I have near me is from 2005.
695.4(B) discusses overcurrent protection being limited to providing short circuit protection only (sized per 430.62)
695.4(B)(1) is the first instance of the infamous 'rated to carry LRA indefinitely', which by the way is not applicable to the conductors.
695.5(B) deals with dedicated transformers. It says secondary protection is not permitted, for the primary it is close to 695.4(B)(1).
695.(C)(2) deals with non-dedicated transformers. In this case overcurrent protection is required but, again, it reads similar to 695.4(B)(1).

Joethemechanic

Occupation

I always worry about the Generator carrying the LRA of an electric fire pump. Not to mention the transfer switch and everything just making it a more complicated machine. Maybe the answer is to have 2 fire pumps 1 Electric and 1 engine driven. I really don't know

After Katrina, how was the Propane supply situation? At least propane in an ASME tank doesn't float away. And propane stores just about forever.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
It is not required to carry that.

How would you size the breaker at the generator, if the generator supplies the fire pump? What good would a LRA sized breaker do on a fire pump circuit if the generator has a somewhat smaller breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.