Fire Pump Control Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkdiaZ

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Application: Facility is adding a fire pump in basement of 3 story building. Generator building is several hundred feet away in a separate structure. The generator is existing and there's an existing ATS that is getting replaced by 4 ATS'. There's control wire from the existing ATS to the generator for auto start/stop.

Question 1. Does the control wire from the fire pump have to be 2 hour rated? I think yes but looking for feedback. I'm not seeing where it excludes the rating while in the pump room or while in the electrical room so I'm assuming it has to be 2 hr rated until it leaves the building.
Question 2. Do we have to run control wire from fire pump controller to the generator directly or can we wire in series with the other ATS' that will be installed and make use of the existing control wiring between the 2 structures. ATS' will be wired so that contact opening starts generator.

Thanks for any feedback.

lkdiaZ

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Take a look at 695.14. There are several stipulations.
Thanks Augie - I have. I was just wondering what feedback others had. Particularly with interfacing the FPC with the other ATS' in the building. If they're all wired to start on an open contact or an open circuit I'm not sure how to do that by running one set of control wires from the ATS' and another set of wires from the FPC in order to keep the FPC completely isolated from the ATS'.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Since the generator start signal is "open", then all of the transferswitch's start signals would be in series. The interconnection could be done at the generator.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
For your application you should be using a combination ATS/controller for the fire pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.