Fire Pump Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Our local utility requires a disconnect between the utility transformer and the fire pump, so the utility does not have to kill power to the fire pump for maintenance or changing the pump controller. I can find nothing in the NEC that would allow an unfused disconnect ahead of a service rated fire pump controller. The disconnect would need to be a service disconnect with overcurrent sized for locked rotor amps per 695. Am my correct about the unfused disconnect ahead of a service rated fire pump controller not being allowed?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Utility as in POCO?
Possibly could use unfused if short ckt current is less than 10 KA, I am not sure on if allowed.
How often does the pump controller need to be changed.
Fused disco to carry LRA = $$$

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Our local utility requires a disconnect between the utility transformer and the fire pump, so the utility does not have to kill power to the fire pump for maintenance or changing the pump controller. I can find nothing in the NEC that would allow an unfused disconnect ahead of a service rated fire pump controller. The disconnect would need to be a service disconnect with overcurrent sized for locked rotor amps per 695. Am my correct about the unfused disconnect ahead of a service rated fire pump controller not being allowed?

I agree. Not allowed. See 695.4(B)(1)(a)

there is a way of doing your above installation to code but of course it is up to the a.h.j for approval. i require that all fire pumps have plan review. 230.82(3) allows electric equipment on the supply side of the service disconnect. this disconnect is not service but it must be grounded and bonded to part V of 250. even though this disconnect could be fused utility companies don't always allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.