Fire Pump Feeder Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Installing a separate service to feed a fire pump controller which feeds a 60HP fire pump & jockey pump. The service will be coming from a utility Xfrmr, to a utility meter, then directly to the fire pump controller.

I assume a neutral will be coming from the meter along with 3 phase conductors. Does this neutral land in the controller? So the ground (sized per NEC 250.66) will come out of the pump controller grounding the neutral?

Then from the controller to the pump I will have 3 phase conductors + a EGC for the pump itself (no neutral)?

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sounds correct. The service neutral would land in a service rated fire pump controller with appropriate bonding,
An EGC would then connect to the fire pump and other equipment from the controller.

Npstewart

Augie, I appreciate your response. Just wanted to make sure.

I had another question if anyone knows..

When sizing the feeder, the feeder is sized to carry the jockey pump as well as the fire pump FLC etc etc.

If the jockey pump is "Tapping" off the incoming feeder before the fire pump controller, is this a "tap" rule? Theres no OCP at all in this installation.

2nd question:
My load calcs show the FLC of both pumps @ 125% to size the feeder, but I dont show anything for the actual controllers themselves. Anyone know if these things take enough power to show in the load calc? I have the cut-sheet but no power is indicated, perhaps they already accounted for it with the load of the pump?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

When sizing the feeder, the feeder is sized to carry the jockey pump as well as the fire pump FLC etc etc.

If the jockey pump is "Tapping" off the incoming feeder before the fire pump controller, is this a "tap" rule? Theres no OCP at all in this installation.

2nd question:
My load calcs show the FLC of both pumps @ 125% to size the feeder, but I dont show anything for the actual controllers themselves. Anyone know if these things take enough power to show in the load calc? I have the cut-sheet but no power is indicated, perhaps they already accounted for it with the load of the pump?

The "tap" for the jockey pump would not fall under the Art 240 ""tap rules" as it is a service conductor tap. You would need to comply with the appropriate Art 230 rules, and Art 250 rules including 250.64(D) and "tap" in an approved manner.

No doubt the controllers account for some load, probably minimal in respect to the motor loads. I'm sure it should be taken into account but I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned.

inspector141

2nd question:

One more thing you need to consider. Technically, the jockey pump is not part of NEC 2008 article 695 except in determining the size of the service in 695.3(A) and feeders elsewhere. Article 230.2(A) only allows additional services for those listed in 1-6. A jockey pump is not a fire pump, so an inspector might not allow the additional service for the jockey pump.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
One more thing you need to consider. Technically, the jockey pump is not part of NEC 2008 article 695 except in determining the size of the service in 695.3(A) and feeders elsewhere. Article 230.2(A) only allows additional services for those listed in 1-6. A jockey pump is not a fire pump, so an inspector might not allow the additional service for the jockey pump.

and I thought I "split hairs" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.