fire pump / jockey pump connections in high rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Working on my first high rise, and it's the first time I've had to connect the fire pump to the generator. Sorry in advance for the muddied questions. My biggest one is about the jockey pump at the end of this post, but I'm not convinced all my assumptions up to that point are correct. All references are to NEC '08. I have a ~125HP fire pump and 1.5HP jockey pump.

State building code for high rises dictates the fire pump be fed from standby generator. I am having trouble navigating the codes but assume it is proper to put the fire pump on a transfer switch fed directly from utility and from generator breaker.

Per 695.4(A) the generator output breaker for the fire pump will be in a separate enclosure from other generator breakers. Knowing this isn't my area of expertise I've included verbiage in the generator and transfer switch specifications that the fire pump is on the gen set, and have asked the mechanical engineer to include a similar note in the fire pump specifications.

I'm assuming a 600A breaker, transfer switch and disconnect for the fire pump. How can I tie the jockey pump into the generator? Can I tap off the transfer switch or fire pump disconnect? If the FP is fed with two sets of 4/0 I can't parallel a #12 from the transfer switch to the JP, can I? Or is the JP normally fed from the FP controller (single point connection)?

Thanks in advance.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
This simplest method would be to supply the jockey pump with its own circuit from a panel that is supplied by the generator, instead of connecting it to the fire pump feeder.

kenburns

Fire pump and jockey pump connections

Fire pump and jockey pump connections

NEC 695.5 AND NFPA20/2010 FIGURE A.9.3.2 ON PAGE 20-27 You can connect the jockey pump to the feed, but not through the fire pump control panel. You have to install a j-box, then make your tap from there to the jockey pump and then to the main fire pump. YOU CANNOT TAP DIRECTLY OFF OF THE LINE SIDE OF THE CONTROLLER.

ohmhead

Fire pump

Fire pump

Well we kinda do this on every job so here it goes the fire pump if this is a high rise building as you say the sprinkler folks will supply the fire pump the jockey pump a both controls .

The fire pump controller which is a combined rated service switch disconnect and it has the automatic transfer switch built in the same cabinet it will also have the emergency switch and controls in a three section encloser usally a section also for resistive slow start section with isolating switch kinda .

Most motors need 6 wire connections not just your 3 wire two speed low /high start motor transistion starter type .

Closed transistion star /wye type

You feed the emergency from your generator or emergency gear your choice .

You feed the normal power to the fire pump controller from the POC transformer .

Its all in one package a factory assembled unit and its red .

The jockey pump has its own starter its feed by any other power source doesnt have to be on the same circuit or panel with fire pump we usally put it on what ever circuit the engineer ask us to on the drawns .

One little item you must run start wires to generator if its manually switched on genset must start .

If its starts automatic by a fire sprinkler a actual fire generator starts .

We do our pipe work under ground before slab but you must do it in rigid conduit or seal tight to fire pump motor in florida .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.