Fire pump question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. i have a quick question regarding a fire pump. NEC 695.3 is labeled Power Source(s) for Electric Motor-Driven Fire Pumps and as such I take that as it would not apply to a situation where a diesel engine-driven fire pump is installed. Am I not reading the section correctly? We have a packaged diesel engine fire pump set and the reviewer is stating that it needs two separate power feeds but I do not understand where that comment is coming from.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Good evening. i have a quick question regarding a fire pump. NEC 695.3 is labeled Power Source(s) for Electric Motor-Driven Fire Pumps and as such I take that as it would not apply to a situation where a diesel engine-driven fire pump is installed. Am I not reading the section correctly? We have a packaged diesel engine fire pump set and the reviewer is stating that it needs two separate power feeds but I do not understand where that comment is coming from.
You are correct. You have, in NFPA 20 parlance an engine-drive fire pump.

Thanks Texie. I'm stuck at this point I guess. The AHJ is telling me that 695.3 applies not only to electric fire pumps but all fire pumps. I don't understand why they would label the section with "electric motor-driven fire pumps" if they meant it to apply to all fire pumps. Doesn't make sense to me but I think we all know how it goes when trying to deal with AHJ's sometimes who are misinterpreting the code. Confused :(

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks Texie. I'm stuck at this point I guess. The AHJ is telling me that 695.3 applies not only to electric fire pumps but all fire pumps. I don't understand why they would label the section with "electric motor-driven fire pumps" if they meant it to apply to all fire pumps. Doesn't make sense to me but I think we all know how it goes when trying to deal with AHJ's sometimes who are misinterpreting the code. Confused :(

You might ask the AHJ how you can be expected to power the fire pump motor from two independent power feeders if there is no motor in the first place.
:)

That is exactly what I keep screaming at the computer as I type my responses back. He is hung up on the controller for the packaged unit. The controller is providing power to the packaged unit wall heaters, lights, etc. My understanding is the diesel engine will start regardless of whether or not the controller is power up from building power. I think he is just a little confused.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Try inviting his attention to 695.1(B)(1). The internal wiring of the system is not covered by the NEC. Then point out that the controller is not a motor, and that the controller is not driving the pump. The article only applies to motor-driven fire pumps, not to fire pumps that are driven by other means.

Status
Not open for further replies.