Fire Pump Service Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
695.3(A) allows Fire Pump utility service connections to be made ahead of the cabinet/vertical switchboard section of the service disconnect but 695.6(A) requires the service conductors to be physically routed "outside the building".
If a switchboard has an auxiliary gutter adjacent to the "main" and you "tap" the service conductors in that gutter and then route them out of the building is that permissible ???
(Concern: The conductors are not "outside of the building" for the portion inside the auxiliary gutter)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most I’ve seen done that way, the fire pump feeder is in the slab, and turned up in the service pull section next to the main. I would think it would be an AHJ call on doing what you propose.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Most I’ve seen done that way, the fire pump feeder is in the slab, and turned up in the service pull section next to the main. I would think it would be an AHJ call on doing what you propose.
Agree, I have seen the same and not given it much thought but I researching an install it seemed to be a bit of a contradiction ie: if the conductors must be "routed inside" (which includes concrete encased" but are allowed to originate in the service conductor section of a switchboard, they are not "outside" in the section.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
695.3(A) allows Fire Pump utility service connections to be made ahead of the cabinet/vertical switchboard section of the service disconnect but 695.6(A) requires the service conductors to be physically routed "outside the building".
If a switchboard has an auxiliary gutter adjacent to the "main" and you "tap" the service conductors in that gutter and then route them out of the building is that permissible ???
(Concern: The conductors are not "outside of the building" for the portion inside the auxiliary gutter)
As long as they remain in the electrical room, or after they transition into the fire pump room, they are treated as normal conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.