Fire Pump service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
Can the feed for a fire pump controller be run under a concrete bld. slab ( from a lockable disconnect), instead of going 150 ' aroung the bld on the outside.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Can the feed for a fire pump controller be run under a concrete bld. slab ( from a lockable disconnect), instead of going 150 ' aroung the bld on the outside.
Yes, and that would be they it would be done in most cases. You just go underground and come up in the fire pump controller. As a side note, typically you don't need an outside disco or overcurrent. You just run metered service conductors directly to the fire pump controller. All full service FP controllers are rated SUSE. This is by far the most common method for most typical installs.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
So I could come directly out of my ct cabinet and go thru the building footing and up into the fire pump controller?
Need to run about 100 ' under slab to pump room.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So I could come directly out of my ct cabinet and go thru the building footing and up into the fire pump controller?
Need to run about 100 ' under slab to pump room.
Is your controller not located in the fire pump room ??

Johnhall30

Occupation
Engineer
If your disconnect is fused, it needs to be able to carry the locked rotor amps.

You would need to check with the utility if they will let you make a tap in their CT cabinet. But yes, you can tap your service conductors ahead of the service disconnect and feed straight into the fire pump controller under slab

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A disconnect is not required, but can be used. Fire pumps are a very different load, the pump and motor are sacrificial in a fire. Read and understand Art 695, also note the voltage drop requirement

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
Thx, The last one we did was in 2008.
It was an outside ct cabinet , that feed directly thru the back of it into the fire pump room.
So if your coming directly out of transformer then, your are just feeding 125 amp / 3 phase.
20 hp pump.. And yes controller is in fire pump room.

Status
Not open for further replies.