Fire pump wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fire pump that is supplied by two sources: a) normal source, tapped ahead of main overcurrent device in switchboard and b) onsite generator. both sources feed the firepump controller/transfer switch package. Question is: do I need a separate generator output circuit breaker on generator that is dedicated to serving the fire pump or can I have one generator output breaker feeding a distribution panel that feeds the fire pump?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If I'm not mistaken, and they will be plenty to tell me if I am, The generator sizing shall be sufficent to run both the normal load, and start and run the fire pump. we get around that by installing a shunt trip that drops the non critical loads when the pump runs. Saves having a huge generator to meet a load requirement that may never be called upon other than testing. Also keep in mind that the transfer switch for the fire pump must be in the same room as the controller.

Fast__Eddie

Good question,

If you have access to NFPA 20, it might provide more info. All that I have seen were designed with a seperate o/c device and feeder.:confused:

anbm

I have a fire pump that is supplied by two sources: a) normal source, tapped ahead of main overcurrent device in switchboard and b) onsite generator. both sources feed the firepump controller/transfer switch package.

Question is: do I need a separate generator output circuit breaker on generator that is dedicated to serving the fire pump or can I have one generator output breaker feeding a distribution panel that feeds the fire pump?

Eirher will works. Most of designs went with second option.

The reason I ask is that I'm getting a comment from an electrical inspector, and he is stating that 2002 NEC 695.4 and 695.6 require the second circuit breaker at the generator dedicated to the fire pump. The job went through permit without a problem and was third-party inspected and passed. Now the county is making the comment.

The county electrical inspector wants the second circuit breaker. The job went through permit and third-party inspection without comment. He sites 2002 NEC 695.4 and .6

Status
Not open for further replies.