Fire Pumps, NEC 695.3(C) Multibuilding Campus-Style Complexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani1101

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi guys,

I need your help understanding the article based on the following situation I'm going through.

Scope of work:
Adding a new Fire Pump to a new building for a campus-style high school.

The school has 10 existing buildings. In the middle of the campus, the building in the center has the only utility vault. All the school services are located in the school's main electrical room, next to the utility vault in the same building. The other buildings are fed with feeders (480V) from this main electrical room.

My new building (located approx. 500' away from the main electrical room) will be fed with a 480V feeder from an existing service in the main electrical room. A new generator will be added just for this new building since the existing school generator is undersized.

My intention is to power the fire pump from the new building feeder distribution equipment (on the normal side) and a generator on the emergency side.

Per NEC 695.3(C) feeder sources shall be permitted if approved by AHJ. I comply with (C)(2) [Feeder and generator] and (C)(3) [my breakers on the service and MCB of the DP have long time delay].

The following is the interpretation of our AHJ:
NEC 695.3(C) Multi building Campus-Style Complexes allow for fire pumps to be supplied by feeder circuits that are part of a medium or high voltage premises wiring system, therefore, this article does not apply for Falcon Cove which is a Low voltage premise.

After looking at the code I do not find anything specifying that this article is allowed only for feeder circuits that are of higher voltages than 480V. It wasn't until I looked at the handbook where there is an example of this article with a "common" situation like a higher voltage distribution. But it does not specify that it is only for higher voltages. Also, arent handbook examples not the same as what is stated in the code and should only be used as a reference?

Appreciate the help.

Manny.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Due to the NFPA's inability to follow it's own guidelines regarding vague language, you are pretty much at the mercy of the AHJ's interpretation. For what ever comfort it may afford, yes, handbook examples are not formal interpretations of the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.