Fire-rated downlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

Got a slight issue on my hands. I've got plenty of 8" downlights being recessed into a fire rated ceiling. Typically we would box around the downlight with fire rated gyp or use a tent product like Tenmat; however, the fixture that was purchased is not IC rated, so it will be problematic without proper ventillation.

Is there any other solution to providing a fire rating such as caulking or something of that nature? The IBC gives an allowance for maximum penetration size in a ceiling before this is required, but it is pretty much going to limit you to a 4" downlight.

Thanks for the help!
Keri :confused::confused:

kwired

Electron manager
I ran into a problem like this a few years ago. I was not involved with the construction of the building but was called by the building manager to try to resolve a problem.

Similar building with similar specifications was being build in a nearby town. Fire marshal discovered that he did not like the downlights that were specified on the new project and recalled that they had similar downlights on the first project so he went back to verify what was there and then ordered them to make changes:mad:

They were CFL downlights that were fairly open design - not really a can enclosing the lamp.

He approved the use of an on site made lens to be installed and everything was fine for a few months. Then they started to notice that lamps and ballasts were not lasting very long - likely because the flow of air through the fixture was impeded by the (non listed) lens and was not cooling components the way the fixture was designed to operate. Summer months were the worst.

The building owner was in lawsuits (or threatening to do so) with the designers, manufacturers, contractors, whoever they could try to get to do something about it. I decided I did not need to become part of the process and declined to try to help them. I am not really sure how things turned out either.

My advice is trying to make them comply with one code may create other problems, and installing something that is designed for the application is likely the best solution in the end.

Keri_WW

Sounds like a mess! I just received confirmation from a Tenmat engineer that there wouldn't be any heat issues with a CFL. I hope he is right :cool:

malachi constant

Per that UL guide "Type IC" fixtures (#57) can be in direct contact with insulation.

Your fixture is not Type IC, so is considered Type Non-IC (#56). It cannot have insulation installed within 3" of the luminiare, including the top.

Not sure how tight your ceiling is, but if you can make a firebox that stays 3" away from all sides including the top, I don't see an issue. You would have to keep insulation out of the box of course.

I work as a design engineer and run across this all the time. Typically we inform the contractor of the issue and they work out the lowest-cost solution in the field so I'm not sure of the particulars. I'd be interested to know what is typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.