Fire Rated Plywood in Comm. Closets

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlolson

It is noted with both BICSI and EIA/TIA that there is a requirement to install fire-rated plywood or plywood that is painted with 2 coats for fire-retardant paint in the communication closets for mounting of equipment to include voice/data terminations, grounding equipment, etc. Why isn't there something in NEC that states the same or similar? Reason I ask is... it's often difficult when on some construction projects the electrical contractor is responsible for the installation of this plywood and it's often difficult to make sure the requirement is met since it's not in NEC as a "code" requirement but only noted in what many call "guidelines."

Thanks,
Dan

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Fire Rated Plywood in Comm. Closets

Fire proofing and rating requirements are not a concern of the NEC, this would fall under Building Codes and Architectural Designs.

I have a question, has anyone ever see a board with Phone and Data blocks mounted on it burst into flames? ;)

Roger

[ May 02, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

danlolson

Hi Roger,
I thought I would get at least one comedian with this question. I too have never seen a board ignite but I have seen markings around improperly mounted ground bus bars so I know why in the communications arena it has been made a "recommendation" in the "guidelines.
Dan

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Dan, marks around a ground bar would be a whole different issue.

As you said, the ground bars were improperly mounted. Most "Systems" ground bars are, and should be, mounted on isolators so they are not in direct contact with ignitable materials.

Since the ground bars are common to the electrical grounding, it is very possible the marks around these bars actually were derived from something other than the systems wiring.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by danlolson:
Reason I ask is... it's often difficult when on some construction projects the electrical contractor is responsible for the installation of this plywood and it's often difficult to make sure the requirement is met since it's not in NEC as a "code" requirement but only noted in what many call "guidelines."
Well it is just a recommendation. :D

mc5w

I also had to learn how to do carpentry work in order to get things to fit together. If somebody needs to customize a kitchen cabinet so that electrical outlets are installed in a certain way or whatever it helps it the carpenter is also the electrician.

In 1 instance I had to build a wooden cabinet to hide a 200 subpanel - there was not a place for a walkin electrical closet and I needed to make this thing look nice. If you just go and sub the work to a carpenter he may not understand that the panelboard cover needs to be removable or that branch circuit conduits need to be installed.

danlolson

Roger,
You're right about that. The ground bus was not mounted properly. The ground bus was the "main" bus at the time and was connected directly to the ground of a local electrical panel. I now question why EIA and BICSI make the costly recommendation... An IT thing I guess. As for being able to work with the contractors and adding the requirement to the specification, I've already done that. I'm in a new position and I'm starting the design guideline writing all over again. I'm working with engineers that know NEC but not BICSI or EIA/TIA. Not a problem. It'll work out over time.
Thanks,
Dan

Originally posted by roger:
Dan, marks around a ground bar would be a whole different issue.

As you said, the ground bars were improperly mounted. Most "Systems" ground bars are, and should be, mounted on isolators so they are not in direct contact with ignitable materials.

Since the ground bars are common to the electrical grounding, it is very possible the marks around these bars actually were derived from something other than the systems wiring.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.