Fire rated recessed lights?

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I am wiring a single family home and the downstairs part of the house I used standard recessed lights. The inspector said I needed to use fire rated recessed lights on the downstairs of a single family residence. Am I mistaken I thought it was only multi family with a separate unit above. Does anyone know where to find the code on this from the NEC. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Dustin

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've never heard of that within the same dwelling except for living space over a garage. It's not in the NEC.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are there fire rated self closing doors closing off each level from the staircase? If not it doesn't do much good to have a rated ceiling when the fire will just go around and up the stairs.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Are there fire rated self closing doors closing off each level from the staircase? If not it doesn't do much good to have a rated ceiling when the fire will just go around and up the stairs.
No the ceiling in the area he says I need fire rated lights in is not even fire rated Only (1) layer of drywall

darekelec

A while ago I heard building inspector failed recess incandescent lights close to wooden studs. He found it to be fire hazard. Contractor had to build Sheetrock boxes.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
A while ago I heard building inspector failed recess incandescent lights close to wooden studs. He found it to be fire hazard. Contractor had to build Sheetrock boxes.
Here's a remodel hazards in need of inspection
Beam can.jpg

Last edited: