Fire rated walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Are putty pads required around metallic boxes closer than 24" when installed in a fire rated wall that is insulated with fire rated mineral wool insulation.

cadpoint

Your in NYC, they write their own Code's. So my answer might be worth nothing!

The underlying answer is that the UL has and approved various wall assembly's to get
the required rating of various gypsum usage's and insulation. It's approved as a "package" and if you insert something in there you'll going to isolate any fault to the outside face of the wall.

Now I believe per the IBC which most other regions work from. It doesn't matter what's in a Fire Wall, it gets puddy pads. In most cases your not allowed to be with-in 24" of each other period. As I recall.

As I learned it, Fire walls with a break in the wall with use such as a device box, one is isolating the box with puddy pads to the open face of the wall and isolating the device box from the cavity of the wall. Is doesn't matter about the rock wool is there, for example it could be three layer on two sides with no insulation.

luckylerado

For steel and rated boxes, if they are on the same side of the wall, have an opening of less than 16 in², the gap around the boxes does not exceed 1/8", and the total area of openings on both sides of the wall does not exceed 100 in² in 100 ft² then putty pads are not required.

See IBC 714.3.2 for backup and more info.

I will echo the previous poster in saying that NY may have their own requirements that I would not be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.