Fire rating required for remodel housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

We have been told by local inspectors that if we are adding remodel cans to an existing room where that is the only work being done, that we can add the cans and there is no requirement for a fire rating.

Other inspectors say that if you made a penetration, you have to make sure it's rated. The group that says it must be rated are split into two categories. One group says stuff a fire hat in the hole and put the light in and you're done, the other group says there is no way to assure that the hat is properly seated when you do that.

Any code references on this? I'd like to read through the building code and see what the deal is. My personal belief is that they are correct about the seating of the fire hat, but I'm not sure about the requirement of the rating to begin with in a remodel situation.

Any references would be appreciated.

Thanks.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would have to first ask where you're installing them. There is no requirement for SF residential. Multi family will vary depending on weather you have upper and lower units. Commercial would depend on weather it's in a corridor or not.

I would also be of the school that just stuffing a fire hat in the hole would not comply.

resistance

I would have to first ask where you're installing them. There is no requirement for SF residential. Multi family will vary depending on weather you have upper and lower units. Commercial would depend on weather it's in a corridor or not.

I would also be of the school that just stuffing a fire hat in the hole would not comply.
I agree! It seems some have forgotten building code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would have to first ask where you're installing them. There is no requirement for SF residential.

There could be a requirement in an attached garage with living space above it in a single family dwelling. But I agree in general there won't be any requirement for fire rating.

mpd

what is the rating of the ceiling? and you better check the listing on the fire hats, i have not seen any that are listed for old work, they all require a new work style recess fixture and a specific type

around here the only rated ceiling in a single family, would be a garage with living space above or a 3 story house non sprinklered

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There could be a requirement in an attached garage with living space above it in a single family dwelling. But I agree in general there won't be any requirement for fire rating.

Yes that is true. Thought about it after I typed, but also thought that the garage would not really be the place to put in can lights.:smile:

sfav8r

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry to get out the door.

The situation I am referring too is a multi-family building where the cans are going into the lower unit. From what I understand, some inspectors say it's a rated ceiling and therefore must have new-work cans with either a fire hat or sheetrocked boxes. Other inspectors believe that since it's an existing ceiling and the ceiling was apporved whenever it was installed, that the addition of can lights does not require that the cans be rated.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Sorry about that, I was in a hurry to get out the door.

The situation I am referring too is a multi-family building where the cans are going into the lower unit. From what I understand, some inspectors say it's a rated ceiling and therefore must have new-work cans with either a fire hat or sheetrocked boxes. Other inspectors believe that since it's an existing ceiling and the ceiling was apporved whenever it was installed, that the addition of can lights does not require that the cans be rated.

It's a rated floor/ceiling assembly and the fire rating must remain intact. Period.

I'm scared of the guys who think different.:mad:

raider1

Staff member
It's a rated floor/ceiling assembly and the fire rating must remain intact. Period.

I'm scared of the guys who think different.:mad:

I agree.

Under the building codes a floor/ceiling assembly separating 2 dwelling units is required to be a fire rated assembly. The cans installed must maintain the rating of the ceiling.

Chris

mpd

IMO, even if you are making penetrations in a ceiling that may not be rated because of the age of the building, you would still be making it less compliant if you did not put the rated fixtures in

morgan01

Hello,

Hello,

You can protect your Ceiling and Walls by using fire-resistance gypsum wallboard.So, by using this material most of the protection can be done from fire.

raider1

Staff member
You can protect your Ceiling and Walls by using fire-resistance gypsum wallboard.So, by using this material most of the protection can be done from fire.

I am not quite understanding what you are saying, could you explain what you mean a little more.

Chris

P.S. Welcome to the forum.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.