Fire Risers Not in Dedicated Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our fire risers are not located in rooms. They are however located on the inside of our exterior walls. They are inline with the PIV's. We have been asked by our assistant fire marshal to use signs indicating locations of the risers. Has anyone had this experience before? The intent is for the firemen to locate the riser in the event of a fire. I am open for suggestions please. Thanks, frank

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Our fire risers are not located in rooms. They are however located on the inside of our exterior walls. They are inline with the PIV's. We have been asked by our assistant fire marshal to use signs indicating locations of the risers. Has anyone had this experience before? The intent is for the firemen to locate the riser in the event of a fire. I am open for suggestions please. Thanks, frank
I'm curious as to why they want the risers located on the interior of the building. There is typically no fire department connection that can be made at a standard fire sprinkler riser. If they need to cut off the water, that's what the PIV (located external to the building) is for. If they need to supplement the city pressure for a particular riser, that's what the fire department connection (also on the exterior of the building, in line with the PIV) is for.

All that said, risers are supposed to be clearly identified, per NFPA 13. Is there a particular requirement the fire marshal is looking to implement? And how did you get stuck with this, and asking the question on an electrical blog? :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.