Fire Sensors for electric vehicle garages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks to all for the input. I'd not considered the low temp limits of smoke detectors but will look for any with better specs. A thermal detector would be better off in the cold.

This is very much a life-safety issue. The attached garage is a long way from the master bedroom.

FWIW: I stumbled across https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/1...ivers-water-directly-to-blazing-ev-batteries/ while looking into the issue.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Open Neutral you might also look into putting a residential sprinkler system in the garage.
Since the code requires residential sprinklers in CA and perhaps other places there are more residential products available.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
I will encourage that, but there's the freezing issue, and limited capacity of the well pump. Are rupture disks or such available under 13D?

(Years back, the client was going to build in Califunny, but got quite annoyed when CalFire insisted the pool be sprinklered.)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I will encourage that, but there's the freezing issue, and limited capacity of the well pump. Are rupture disks or such available under 13D?

(Years back, the client was going to build in Califunny, but got quite annoyed when CalFire insisted the pool be sprinklered.)
There are two seasons in California, Mostly Dry with occasional rain or Really dry and hot. A friend of mine had a propane pool heater malfunction, old place no sprinklers, the resulting fire lit up the entire dry pine/fir forest behind it, on a rainy day. people dont realize how flammable that pine tar is.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
There are two seasons in California, Mostly Dry with occasional rain or Really dry and hot. A friend of mine had a propane pool heater malfunction, old place no sprinklers, the resulting fire lit up the entire dry pine/fir forest behind it, on a rainy day. people dont realize how flammable that pine tar is.

This was in redwoods, in the Santa Cruz Mountains. We were well aware of the fire issue. The sprinklers we planned were external.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... ICE cars also have had this issue (e.g. a design defect that allows hot oil to leak onto hot metal after driving), not sure what the rate on that is. And of course ICE cars overall have a much higher rate of catching fire, but that's usually due to an accident or while the engine is running. ...
Greater than zero. It happened to me.
Full disclosure: it was a MY1974 car with the old-fashioned valve-cover gaskets, which I knew were leaking and neglected to replace.
While driving, the oil mostly burned and/or vaporized and blew away. Shortly after being parked, enough accumulated to ignite and sustain combustion.

Part of the requirements for passing a FMVSS 208 crash test is leaking less than one liter of fuel during the 60 minutes following the crash. Fuel leaks and post-crash fires are something we've learned about (the hard way, of course) a long time ago and rolled into the certification process.

For these tests, we fill the fuel tank with dyed Stoddard solvent, because it has the same density & viscosity as gasoline, but is less toxic and much less inflammable.

pinto-with-flames.jpeg

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thanks to all for the input. I'd not considered the low temp limits of smoke detectors but will look for any with better specs. A thermal detector would be better off in the cold.

This is very much a life-safety issue. The attached garage is a long way from the master bedroom.

I stumbled across Container puts out inextinguishable fires in electric cars which is a different approach.....
You won't find any. They are all listed to UL217, and that's the requirement for the standard. I think there are some smoke detectors, (not smoke alarms) made in the UK that are listed to an EU standard that are good for lower temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.