fire wall applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcflashed

Ive never came across this in my eleven years as an electrician,and wondering if code accepts it.I came in contact with a flush mount 3ph 120/208 panel in a fire wall dividing two tenants,wouldn't that interrupt the whole purpose of the fire wall. :confused::

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Penetrations in a fire-rated wall are regulated by the building codes.

I really doubt that the cabinet that the panel is mounted in would actually have a fire-rating, so that leaves possibly boxing around the panel to obtain a fire-rating or maybe using fire-rated putty pads or maybe some other listed fire-rated material to get the fire-rating of the wall.

If I had to guess, I would say that this panel was non-compliant in regards to the fire-rating of the wall.

Chris

TOOL_5150

Often around here we have to fur out a place for the panel to go, then only the wires are in the actual fire wall. Doing that, puts the panel technically, on the outside of the real firewall.

~Matt

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You cannnot put a panel IN a fire wall..........but,,,,,,this panel is not IN the wall. It is flush mount,,,therefore it is legal.

If it's flush mount how would it not be recessed in the wall? Are you thinking surface mounted?

If the wall was deep enough to allow "five siding" the panel so that the membrane is essentially unbroken you should be good to go.

Roger

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
flush - of a surface exactly even with an adjoining one, forming the same plane

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
flush - of a surface exactly even with an adjoining one, forming the same plane

And the point is?

For the panel cover to be flush the membrane has to be broken to allow the panel can to be in the wall cavity

Roger

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
And the point is?

For the panel cover to be flush the membrane has to be broken to allow the panel can to be in the wall cavity

Roger

The point is I posted the definition of flush.
What did you think I meant to say?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What did you think I meant to say?

I wasn't sure if you were agreeing with McClarry and saying that a flush mounted panel is "not" in the wall and that the cover being flush makes it legal

Roger

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
I wasn't sure if you were agreeing with McClarry and saying that a flush mounted panel is "not" in the wall and that the cover being flush makes it legal

Roger

No, I agree with you.
Sorry for the confusion. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.