Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Had a big boom in a 2000A main switch board here in town. Melted most of the fused switches. They were going to replace the bus bar and the switches and then just try to clean it, but the more I checked into it, the more I was convinced that the whole panel needed to be recertified or replaced.

This is at a private school that also has day care and a lot of people are being put out and a lot of money is being spent. I wrestled with it for about a day before I made my decision, but I have to look at the bigger picture.

How many of you would just clean it and hope for the best and how many of you would replace it or have it recertified?

ultramegabob

cowboyjwc said:
Had a big boom in a 2000A main switch board here in town. Melted most of the fused switches. They were going to replace the bus bar and the switches and then just try to clean it, but the more I checked into it, the more I was convinced that the whole panel needed to be recertified or replaced.

This is at a private school that also has day care and a lot of people are being put out and a lot of money is being spent. I wrestled with it for about a day before I made my decision, but I have to look at the bigger picture.

How many of you would just clean it and hope for the best and how many of you would replace it or have it recertified?

I would have to see it myself to be able to answer that... you got any pics?

iwire

Staff member
If it really was a big boom I don't think you where out of line at all.

You gave them options, recertify or replace. I don't see any reason you should have to put yourself out on a limb to save them money.

Heck, their insurer might want recertification as well.

brian john

This is very dependent on the nature of the damage.

BUT this IMO is not something the average contractor can/should take on.

In my expierence the best solution is temperoray service and new switchgear.

Switchgear can be had on a 72 hour quick ship or if they delay the deal because of the cost a temporary could be up in running in less time.

rcarroll

I looked at one of those big booms yesterday. A directional boring co. drilled thru 2 of 5 runs 480v. 1600a service. Blew the transformer & MDC. All are being replaced. This was at a bank building. 3 generators on site now until new gear & transformer get replaced. Quite the mess.

BAHTAH

Tried that cleaning thing once!

Tried that cleaning thing once!

Had a similuar experience at a High School years ago. Maintenance figured shooting the switchboard with a hose was a good way to keep things clean. Two sections melted. we spent two days cleaning and when it was re-energized, it went again. I think it almost impossible to get the bus and insulators clean enough. By the time you relplace all that would need replacing, you are ahead on time and money to just replace. Not to mention you will be able to sleep nights!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
grant said:
Had a similuar experience at a High School years ago. Maintenance figured shooting the switchboard with a hose was a good way to keep things clean. Two sections melted. we spent two days cleaning and when it was re-energized, it went again. I think it almost impossible to get the bus and insulators clean enough. By the time you relplace all that would need replacing, you are ahead on time and money to just replace. Not to mention you will be able to sleep nights!

That was my concern, is that it might go boom again. There was a lot of carbon dust in the equipment and even if it didn't go right away, it probably would have gone again sooner or later.

chris kennedy said:
What caused the big boom?

That's one thing I would really like to know too. I'm sure that the heat (109) may have had something to do with it. We did find some serious arcing behind one of the switches so it could have been a loose connection that finally caught up to them.

stickboy1375

rcarroll said:
I looked at one of those big booms yesterday. A directional boring co. drilled thru 2 of 5 runs 480v. 1600a service. Blew the transformer & MDC. All are being replaced. This was at a bank building. 3 generators on site now until new gear & transformer get replaced. Quite the mess.

No call before you dig?

Huevos

I'd get the factory rep in there to have a look. You'll probably need them anyway to verify bus measurments, bushings, price and availability if you're going to rebuild. I re-bussed 8 sections of 4000A double ended switchgear to install barriers and run backs and the factory rep was an invaluble part of the process. Personally though, I'd opt to replace it. Sleeping at night is a good thing.

cowboyjwc said:
That was my concern, is that it might go boom again. There was a lot of carbon dust in the equipment and even if it didn't go right away, it probably would have gone again sooner or later.

That's one thing I would really like to know too. I'm sure that the heat (109) may have had something to do with it. We did find some serious arcing behind one of the switches so it could have been a loose connection that finally caught up to them.

Used equipment suppliers can offer you some pretty good stuff, its just luck of the draw. You can even try e-bay.

wireguru

i sure wouldnt attempt to slap some repair together on switchgear that exploded. remember the first rule of electricity. you touch it, you own it. what if someone is standing infront of it next time it explodes?

if your customer is complaining about the cost of new switchgear, or complaining about generator rental cost, lost business, etc; it's not your fault they arent properly insured.

Huevos

brian john said:
Those who can do those, that can't call the factory rep....

Just had to say that......SORRY.

Wow, I guess I should be offended by that but since I don't know you and you don't know me I guess it doesn't mean much (to me anyway). Truth is, switchgear is something that needs to be UL listed and if you start replacing bus on your own you're voiding that listing. Somebody has to certify it and I use the factory. Maybe you carry around a book full of stickers but I don't have one. Oh, your comma's in the wrong place. I guess those who can, can't do everything.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Huevos said:
Truth is, switchgear is something that needs to be UL listed and if you start replacing bus on your own you're voiding that listing. Somebody has to certify it and I use the factory.

Huevos said:
I'd get the factory rep in there to have a look.

Those were my thoughts. We had two jobs last year where vandals ruined equipment. First thing was to call and see if the parts that were vandalized were replaceable. Neither were, so off with the old and on with the new. Insurance paid for one. The other paid for by the biz owner, three times.

Huevos said:
Maybe you carry around a book full of stickers but I don't have one. Oh, your comma's in the wrong place. I guess those who can, can't do everything.

Snigger :grin:

iaov

Huevos said:
Wow, I guess I should be offended by that but since I don't know you and you don't know me I guess it doesn't mean much (to me anyway). Truth is, switchgear is something that needs to be UL listed and if you start replacing bus on your own you're voiding that listing. Somebody has to certify it and I use the factory. Maybe you carry around a book full of stickers but I don't have one. Oh, your comma's in the wrong place. I guess those who can, can't do everything.
A big part of our job is being able to find the answers. Some times the best way to do that is call the factory rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.