Fireproofing& Conductor Derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

snace

During a recent project site visit, I noticed the GC has followed the EC in the corridors and sprayed fireproofing over the electrical conduits. Is there a derating factor found anywhere to compensate for the increased thermal buildup that will occur within the conduits? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
During a recent project site visit, I noticed the GC has followed the EC in the corridors and sprayed fireproofing over the electrical conduits. Is there a derating factor found anywhere to compensate for the increased thermal buildup that will occur within the conduits? Thanks.

I don't believe there is. This issue has come up with NM cable in dwellings and the spray foam insulation.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Fire proofing spray on conduit? This must be something new, I only ever did that on cable trays. I don't see the point, I would think if a fire has already reached the point of being dangerous to steel conduit, the fire stop material has become irrelevant. Could be wrong though, it's been a long time.

Oh wait, was it NM conduit maybe? That would make more sense.

iwire

Staff member
My guess is when they were spraying the fireproofing onto building steel it also got on the conduits.

This is not an NEC problem and no derating is required.

snace

Correct. The EC installed his work and then the GC came back and spray bombed the hallway. Thanks for all the input, I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.