fires or trouble with modular wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjohn

Has anyone expereinced or knows of any problems, fires or electrical faults with the use of modular wiring systems?

Has anyone experienced or knows of any of problems with this wiring being installed by unskilled workers?

ultramegabob

are you talking about modular homes? If so, I have found all kinds of problems with the factory wiring, and they can be a nightmare to troubleshoot due to the plug together connections that they bury behind the siding.

johnjohn

fires or trouble with modular wiring

I am talking about MC cable that comes with modular connectors that wire fixture as a daisy chain from one to the other with no box.

Buck Parrish

I've never heard of a problem with modular wiring.
But one time my guys hooked up a bunch of high bay lights then found out they used the last part first. So they had to go back and reverse all of them.

acwservices

I have witnessed many problems with modular wiring systems. I used to subcontract from a national lighting company who serviced the big box home improvement stores, and there were constant service calls related to MWS. Nearly all of the problems involved the "plug n play" connectors. It appeared that they would not make a good, solid connection, or become loose and cause arching- which we all know causes heat buildup then failure. The problem with fixing MWS is there are so many different manufacturers and configurations, an EC can't possibly stock them all. In an emergency, the connectors can be cut from the ends of the MWS, and a box installed.

electricalperson

i used that modular wiring systems before for light fixtures. they work pretty well and i dont have any complaints. ive used them on 277 volt fixtures in office buildings and other commercial areas

brian john

We have been involved with several fires and or open neutrals that fried PC's.

In all cases the furniture was used on the 3rd or 4th go round of installation. And at best the stuff was shaky. New stuff I have had some wiring issues from improperly installed connectors and one case with a factory issue.

mattsilkwood

they are fast to install but i agree they can be a pain to troubleshoot. and the easiest way to fix them is cut the connectors off and put in a box.

nakulak

I've had good success with modular lighting.

furniture is hit and miss (I think it gets manhandled a little too much and eventually its trash, but the people installing it don't care and the people who own it don't want to fork out the dough for new, so next thing you know you have a bunch of crappy connections) (no fires on my watch tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.