First means of disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyww12000

when bonding a service you must bond in between the source and the first means of disconnect....correct? If I have a disconnect outside the building and a MDP with a main breaker inside then I would have to bond at the disconnect correct? Could I bypass the disconnect outside and bond at the MDP?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
when bonding a service you must bond in between the source and the first means of disconnect....correct? If I have a disconnect outside the building and a MDP with a main breaker inside then I would have to bond at the disconnect correct? Could I bypass the disconnect outside and bond at the MDP?

You need to bond at the service equipment -- the disconnect. Then you must ground the MDP.

joeyww12000

this is not whats on the specs, or the riser diagram, at my current job.....it shows no bonding at the disconnect... the MDP has all the grounding electrodes such as steel, waterpipe, ground rod being bonded to service in the MDP....what gives you think?

M. D.

what gives?...lack of understanding.

503ecm17fig1.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
this is not whats on the specs, or the riser diagram, at my current job.....it shows no bonding at the disconnect... the MDP has all the grounding electrodes such as steel, waterpipe, ground rod being bonded to service in the MDP....what gives you think?

The only possibility I can think of would be your outside switch being a POCO required "cold sequence switch" {per 230.83(3)}ahead of metering in which case it would not be service equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.