Fixed electric space heating equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbelectrician

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
Hello,
I’m a journeyman electrician studying for my master electrician License. I have an NEC 2017 question. Article 220.51 indicates that fixed electric space heating equipment is sized at 100%, whereas Article 424.3b says this equipment is considered continuous load, which we would normally size at 125%. Which calculation method is correct?
Thanks for your ideology and excellent explanations.
P. Bunn

Last edited by a moderator:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
424.3(b) states "for sizing branch circuits". For Art 220 load calculations you do not need to apply the 125%

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Gus. Section 220-51 is used for feeder or service sizing not for the branch circuit. The nec is confusing sometimes... You need to look at the part number that it is under. For instant Part III of article 220 includes section 220.51. The title of Part III is Feeder and Service Load Calculations

pbelectrician

Occupation
Journeyman electrician
I agree with Gus. Section 220-51 is used for feeder or service sizing not for the branch circuit. The nec is confusing sometimes... You need to look at the part number that it is under. For instant Part III of article 220 includes section 220.51. The title of Part III is Feeder and Service Load Calculations
Ok . I got you. The context should be considered. Thanks guys. It does get confusing at times.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Don't worry, the more you work with it the more confusing it will get :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.