Fixed electric space heating - feeder calc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

winslowfam

Hi...we have always performed our load calculations for services and/or feeders with the assumption that area heating loads are continuous and, therefore, included in the calculations at 125% of rated load. We just read in 2005 NEC 220.51 that service/feeder calculations can include fixed electric space heating at 100% of rated load. NEC 215.2(A)(1) says to include continuous loads at 125% for feeder calculations. Which is it? Are heating loads continuous, as we have always thought?

gndrod

Fixed space heater load calc

Fixed space heater load calc

Hi...we have always performed our load calculations for services and/or feeders with the assumption that area heating loads are continuous and, therefore, included in the calculations at 125% of rated load. We just read in 2005 NEC 220.51 that service/feeder calculations can include fixed electric space heating at 100% of rated load. NEC 215.2(A)(1) says to include continuous loads at 125% for feeder calculations. Which is it? Are heating loads continuous, as we have always thought?

I believe the calculations are for nameplate ratings and not part of the conductor sizing requirement.

winslowfam

Hi...I think I am missing something about the difference between calculating load and calculating feeder ampacity when I see the load as being fed from the feeder. I don't doubt your answers, just need to get it myslef. I will read more about it and get back to this forum again if it remains unclear. Thanks for your comments.

gndrod

Hi...I think I am missing something about the difference between calculating load and calculating feeder ampacity when I see the load as being fed from the feeder. I don't doubt your answers, just need to get it myslef. I will read more about it and get back to this forum again if it remains unclear. Thanks for your comments.

Here is a for-instance in optional calculations of fixed space heating;
[220.82(C)(1)...(6)] All six selections state "nameplate ratings" in the heating requirement calculations. The 125% continuous requirement for [215] is not referenced or included.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Think of it this way-- when you calculate the load for a service the load is going to be -- just that-- the load. A 10kw strip heat is 10 kw not 10kw plus 25%. However for the branch circuit conductor size it is req. to add 25% to keep the conductors from running at maximum temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.