Fixing PVC Threads

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I found a plumbing clean out at work, a 4 inch PVC female adapter at ground level. I found a male plug but the female threads are too rough. I’ve seen a tool online that would be great for this but I know I can’t get that, not at $60 & change. I have used a slotted screwdriver before when only the starter thread needed help but this has about a half inch of bad thread in one spot. I’ve also thought of using a small chisel & tapping it sideways on each thread but that would be tedious. I might wind up digging around it, cutting it down & gluing in a coupling & new adapter. Have any of you found a quick solution to such as this? I have a pic but not a good closeup like I should have gotten.

Attachments

• IMG_2829.jpeg
    IMG_2829.jpeg
    830.8 KB · Views: 18

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Take a short pipe of 4" rigid pipe and use the threaded end to chase those threads. That should clean it up. Better to use a short piece so you can control starting it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
1/2" of bad thread in one spot...

Dremel- grind the bad spot out

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have spread PVC cement in the threads and immediately screwed a metal nipple into the female. Wait a few minutes and remove the nipple. The cement softens the threads and the nipple reforms them. Of course I have had a few times where it didn't work very well.