Fixture as a raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

hochwire

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager
Acticle 410.31 states luminares shall not be used as a raceway unless listed and marked for use as a raceway. So can I install 4 - 8' surface mount flouescent fixtures end to end and at about the halfway point drop a conduit out the side of a fixture to a surface mounted receptacle box on the wall? The outlet would not be on the same circuit as the lights. Are these fixtures ever marked/listed for use as a raceway?

bphgravity

Re: Fixture as a raceway

Not only will the luminaires need to be listed and marked, "SUITABLE FOR USE AS RACEWAY," they will also need to be marked to include the maximum number, size, and type of conductors they are intended to accommodate.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Not only will the luminaires need to be listed and marked, "SUITABLE FOR USE AS RACEWAY," they will also need to be marked to include the maximum number, size, and type of conductors they are intended to accommodate.
Is that a new rule for 2005?

I have never seen a fixture listed for use as a raceway include size, and type of conductors they are intended to accommodate.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Me neither, but that's what it says here:

HYXT.GuideInfo
Glad you said that, after I posted I went to my 2004 white book and saw what you are referring to.

Kinda interesting, no note of that in the NEC or on the fixtures. :confused:

I am going to have to start looking for that on the next fixtures I get.

benaround

Volt102,

I forgot all about the recpt. I was on using the fixture for a raceway? DUH. It's good to have backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.