Fixture supported by conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have not found a clear-cut answer to a question posed by an electrician today.......

Can a LED strip fixture be supported from a run of conduit in trusses ?? ("minneralac" strap on conduit with jack chain attacked)

300.11 amd 410.36(E) lead me to think it is permissible. Comments ??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
conduit runs are in the web of trusses for the most part, a few are on bottom side secured to the trusses with Caddys.
Location of LEDs hanging by jack chain is such that most would be supported by clamps to a conduit (fixtures don't line up under joists)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Methinks you can use sections of conduit for support, but not runs of conduit that contain wires.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I understand now.

410.36(E) talks about raceway fittings needing to be capable of supporting the weight of the fixture. So that would mean to me that they are talking about pendent fixtures hung by a raceway from a box used to power it.

300.11(C) would seem to prohibit it.

Looks like Kindorf or EMT slid through the trusses would be the way to go.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Methinks you can use sections of conduit for support, but not runs of conduit that contain wires.

That's correct, you could lay a piece of EMT across the trusses and use it to support a fixture it just cannot be supported from a raceway.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
That's correct, you could lay a piece of EMT across the trusses and use it to support a fixture it just cannot be supported from a raceway.

That would be my thought but, as u guys often say: " have the inspector give you a Code reference " :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That would be my thought but, as u guys often say: " have the inspector give you a Code reference " :)

I would start with the sections you've mentioned. A fixture can be hung from just about anything as long as the AHJ approves it. I've seen guys use strut, EMT, RMC, wood, angle iron, you name it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is also 358.12(5), this would be a raceway of EMT, not EMT used soley to support something.

Roger

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Shallow Uni-strut is common - or is that what Kindorf is?

Kindorf is what T&B calls their strut system. At one time their clamps and channel were not directly compatible with everybody else's strut products like Uni-strut. They have since redesigned their channel and clamps so they are interchangeable with other manufacturers.

-Hal

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Kindorf is what T&B calls their strut system. At one time their clamps and channel were not directly compatible with everybody else's strut products like Uni-strut. They have since redesigned their channel and clamps so they are interchangeable with other manufacturers.

-Hal

Don't forget B-Line

jap

Occupation
Electrician

-Hal

Irrelevant to this discussion.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.