Fixture Wattage ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Question came up today at work:

If an incandescent fixture is rated for two 60w lamps, can a single 100w lamp be installed instead?

Sorry.... that should be incandescent luminaire.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe that rating is per socket, not an overall fixture rating. Otherwise, it would say "max total 120w" or somesuch.

For example, I don't think you could use a 75w and a 40w and still be within the manufacturer's rated limit.

PetrosA

Aren't the stickers usually on the sockets themselves? I always understood the rating to be for the combination of socket and wiring. I would think that even if only one socket in a multi lamp fixture had a sticker (like some vanity lights), then it should be understood that all the sockets have that limitation...

BTW, I didn't do well in French at school and had no Italian, so for me it's "light fixture" and small/medium/large and single or double espresso ;)

480sparky

I believe that rating is per socket, not an overall fixture rating. Otherwise, it would say "max total 120w" or somesuch.

For example, I don't think you could use a 75w and a 40w and still be within the manufacturer's rated limit.

It had porcelain sockets, so I would assume they have the standard 250V/660W rating alone.

I installed a passel of these fixtures today, and I was asked (hypothetically) if installing a single 100w lamp would be 'legal'.

PetrosA

It had porcelain sockets, so I would assume they have the standard 250V/660W rating alone.

I installed a passel of these fixtures today, and I was asked (hypothetically) if installing a single 100w lamp would be 'legal'.

Bakelite also has that rating, or at least the socket extenders I used recently did...

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That may be true, but the fixtures obviously cannot take 660w bulbs, so that's not what it's based on. It's the fixture assembly as a whole.

I stand by my answer: no.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about using CFL's? You can use the actual wattage for the fixture rating, which is about 1/4 of the equivalent light output.

Don't forget a burn-in period.

There's a thread in the NEC forum you might be interested in, labeled "charcoalized wood."

hurk27

How about using CFL's? You can use the actual wattage for the fixture rating, which is about 1/4 of the equivalent light output.

Don't forget a burn-in period.

There's a thread in the NEC forum you might be interested in, labeled "charcoalized wood."

The restriction of wattage for incandescent is based upon the heat produced by the lamp, CFL's come no where close to producing this kind of heat, so I would not think the same limitations would apply. in fact we use recessed rated 26w CFL's in shower trims to get more light out of them with out the temperature limit tripping. I would say it would go by the actual watts used by the CFl since this would be the bases of the heat produced?

Last edited:

JFletcher

I would say no to the single 100W incandescent in a dual 60W luminaire. You'd be exceeding the maximum rating of the individual socket by 67%.

I've seen several 100W bulbs in 60W recessed lights that were, how was it put to me, oh yeah: "haunted". Lights go on and off by themselves. No ghost in the machine, rather the thermal overload doing its job. And I've seen plenty of 60W sockets burnt up from overlamping.

CFL wattage VS labled fixture wattage

CFL wattage VS labled fixture wattage

The restriction of wattage for incandescent is based upon the heat produced by the lamp, CFL's come no where close to producing this kind of heat, so I would not think the same limitations would apply. in fact we use recessed rated 26w CFL's in shower trims to get more light out of them with out the temperature limit tripping. I would say it would go by the actual watts used by the CFl since this would be the bases of the heat produced?

This is/was EXACTLY the question I came on here today to ask. It came up today on a job. I always tell customers they can use CFL's and for the most part, ignore the ratings on the fixture( when usind cfl's), which I too have always believed were for incandescent bulbs only. It never dawned on me to add up the wattages consumed by the CFL's. Two 60w equiv cfl's are def brighter than two 60w bulbs .

hurk27

This is/was EXACTLY the question I came on here today to ask. It came up today on a job. I always tell customers they can use CFL's and for the most part, ignore the ratings on the fixture( when usind cfl's), which I too have always believed were for incandescent bulbs only. It never dawned on me to add up the wattages consumed by the CFL's. Two 60w equiv cfl's are def brighter than two 60w bulbs .

Just remember not all CFL's are listed for enclosed fixtures or recess cans

Status
Not open for further replies.