Fixture whips

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see any restrictions other than those noted in 410.117 but I guess it could be argued that the power supply was not the fixture.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see an issue with using a whip with reduced sized conductors. The junction box is still part of the fixture.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
ptonsparky's response was that the springs that hold them resemble the bars of traditional spring mouse traps. Not at all related to wire sizes or mouse tails.
I understand that. I made two statements in my 1st reply and should have made clear they were unrelated.

First statement was why he was calling them "mouse traps". Which he explained.

2nd statement was His question about the size of the whips to the lights, and I was just asking if the pigtail from the JB to the fixture was what he was concerned about.

I guess what's in my head doesn't translate to the keyboard very well!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I understand that. I made two statements in my 1st reply and should have made clear they were unrelated.

First statement was why he was calling them "mouse traps". Which he explained.

2nd statement was His question about the size of the whips to the lights, and I was just asking if the pigtail from the JB to the fixture was what he was concerned about.

I guess what's in my head doesn't translate to the keyboard very well!
The problem, as I see it, is that you quoted the post you did not comment about and commented about the one you did not quote. :)
At least it looks that way. Possibly you just chose the wrong post to Reply to?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see no problem with feeding a single wafer light with something like an 18ga fixture whip like you would use on a fluorescent troffer. Seems like the exact same purpose.