Fixture Wiring

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'm never 100% on a project that has to be 100% EMT whether whips can/are used?

In my opinion I think(obviously...lol) the mounting of the fixture matters.

If it's surface, I assume you may be able to pipe directly in/out of fixture, correct? If not, would you say a short FMC whip could be used to get over to a J-BOX? Remember I'm referring to a job that all wiring is to be in EMT.
If it's pendant that brings a few variables for wiring method out of fixture.
If it's rigid stems then wiring can be brought from the 4" box the stem mounts to, through the stem, directly to fixture. Then you just bring your feed to that stem mounted 4" box.
If it's chain or aircraft cable mounted, then I'd think a FMC whip would be needed to a 4" box, correct? If you do that then you could maybe have (1) 4" box for 2 fixtures.

I know I overthink things too much.

1701377132264.png

1701377097116.png

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Which of your scenarios applies to the fixture in the photo?
They are stem mounted. So I’m figuring piping in and out of each 4” box that the stem is mounted to . So essentially a straight run of conduit for each row of fixtures . Now that I think about it I’d need a special box cover for a stem/pendant to terminate in 4” box???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Now that I think about it I’d need a special box cover for a stem/pendant to terminate in 4” box???
The stem attaches via a "hickey" in the box. For a square box the hickey attaches to a no-bolt stud in the box. Then a canopy covers the box.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
I have done projects where ALL wiring has to be within EMT (or otherwise non-flexible conduits). They have all been industrial/utilitarian settings where you're not going to be dealing with any decorative pendants or anything like that to account for. But in your scenario, how we would handle an all EMT requirement would be to suspend continuous metal strut for each row, and have EMT run from one fixture to the next, secured against the strut.

However, 99% of the "everything in non-flexible conduit" jobs I've done also have an exemption allowing MC whips to make final connections to fixtures, typically with a maximum allowable length of 6' per whip. I would ask the engineer if that would be acceptable.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have done projects where ALL wiring has to be within EMT (or otherwise non-flexible conduits). They have all been industrial/utilitarian settings where you're not going to be dealing with any decorative pendants or anything like that to account for. But in your scenario, how we would handle an all EMT requirement would be to suspend continuous metal strut for each row, and have EMT run from one fixture to the next, secured against the strut.

However, 99% of the "everything in non-flexible conduit" jobs I've done also have an exemption allowing MC whips to make final connections to fixtures, typically with a maximum allowable length of 6' per whip. I would ask the engineer if that would be acceptable.
Thank you and correct about whips.