Fixture wiring

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Many fixtures I see wired with armored cable seems to have a "whip" to a 4" box nearby where the armored cable(12/2 etc.) terminates. Why couldn't one just run the armored cable in and out of each fixture without using a box? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Many fixtures I see wired with armored cable seems to have a "whip" to a 4" box nearby where the armored cable(12/2 etc.) terminates. Why couldn't one just run the armored cable in and out of each fixture without using a box? Thanks.
You could do that unless for some reason the fixture wiring compartment isn't large enough for two cables. Back in the day whips were common because AC cable had only 60° C conductors while the whip used 90° C conductors.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You could do that unless for some reason the fixture wiring compartment isn't large enough for two cables. Back in the day whips were common because AC cable had only 60° C conductors while the whip used 90° C conductors.
Thanks. Whips used 90 degree? What do you mean? It was a requirement for them to be 90 degree?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Usually it is because the specs require it. I believe the logic is maintenance, reconfiguration, and remodel. Fixtures can be removed, added or moved much more efficiently when each one whips to a junction box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks. Whips used 90 degree? What do you mean? It was a requirement for them to be 90 degree?
There's a requirement for any conductors within 3" of a ballast to be 90° C rated so fixture wire was used in a whip. With modern cables that pont is moot.

As Strathead stated there are advantages to boxes and whips but obviously that type of installation costs more to install.