Fixtures mounted on Siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have seen new houses with outdoor fixtures screwed directly to a Siding Blockout without a box being installed. Is this not a violation of 300.15? I dont see where a Fixture Housing would be an appropriate enclosure for an outdoor Installation.

raider1

Staff member
I have seen new houses with outdoor fixtures screwed directly to a Siding Blockout without a box being installed. Is this not a violation of 300.15? I dont see where a Fixture Housing would be an appropriate enclosure for an outdoor Installation.

Only if the siding blockout is listed as a box.

The siding trim pieces that are not boxes that only have a 1/2 hole in the middle are not listed as a box and are designed only to trim the siding too and an additional electrical box must be installed.

Chris

jap

Occupation
Electrician
These had only the Block with the 1/2" hole in it without a box behind it.
The Fixture was screwed to the Blockout with Sheetrock Screws.

Thanks,

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
The Arlingtom blocks with integral box are my favorites.

I like them too but if white doesn't go with the siding color, they have to be painted, which I have done. I just normally screw a 4/0 box directly to the sheathing and let the vinyl guy put his j-block over my box rather than cutting in my box after the j-block is installed. Most of the j-blocks are 1 1/2" deep so the fit is perfect. I have, on occasion seen j-blocks that were an inch deep where a pancake was the best solution.

lakee911

I've seen some nice blocks for sconces, panels, meters, etc., but I've never seen anything for something like a conduit strap or an insulated wire holder. something like that exist? Why go through all the trouble for some, but not all?

220wire

These had only the Block with the 1/2" hole in it without a box behind it.
The Fixture was screwed to the Blockout with Sheetrock Screws.

Thanks,

You might be able to do that with box extensions or combustion extension rings, but you need to be able to access the junction. Did they reside the building? I've seen siding guys do this before. You can tell if it's the siding guys when they replace the light they use the Barbie-doll sized wire nuts that come with the fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.