Flammable Storage Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

K_Mark

I am working on a project that has a storage building labeled "Flammable Storage Building". The building is to be used to store bulk oil containers (hyd and motor) for equipment. The owners also intend to store approximately 5 - 5 gallon cans of gasoline. Located on the outside of the building will be a diesel tank. The building is to have an exhuast fan and a heater to keep the oils from getting too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I am unclear of which classification this would fall under. Can anyone help?

bphgravity

Consult your AHJ or local Fire Marshal. Only they can make that determination based on the exact conditions and the engineered documents.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
K_Mark said:
I am working on a project that has a storage building labeled "Flammable Storage Building". The building is to be used to store bulk oil containers (hyd and motor) for equipment. The owners also intend to store approximately 5 - 5 gallon cans of gasoline. Located on the outside of the building will be a diesel tank. The building is to have an exhaust fan and a heater to keep the oils from getting too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I am unclear of which classification this would fall under. Can anyone help?

It seems likely the only thing really flammable is the gasoline. I wonder why they are calling it a flammable storage building.

Your biggest problem may be the storage of the gasoline. Most localities have very low limits on the amount of gasoline that can be stored that way. I know in some areas, many homeowners are in violation of the fire code because of the gas stored in cans they have in their garages for their lawn mowers and snowblowers.

muskiedog

OSHA 1910.106

Go to the OSHA web site and look this up. It will go over the basics of storage for different classes of flammables and combustables.

I think if you are only having gasoline stored in safety cans you may get around the flammable storage classifiaction but as mentioned above the fire marshall or AHJ will have the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.