flash protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

We have a new powder prime paint facility coming online in a year. 3 or 6 grains, requires strict lint-free clean room coveralls. On the other side of the coin, we have strict safety procedures for flash protection for all electrical work involved in lockout/tagout.
Does anyone have a clue on flash gear that can meet the clean room requirements? Our safety people say none exists for the purpose. Any help is welcome! Thanx. ~Jim

jtb

Re: flash protection

I have just been informed by Safety that the procedure will be lint free garments over a 40cal/cm suit. I wonder how they will find the size! After lockout, only the lint free will be necessary. Looks like an operational nightmare, but we shall see.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jtb,
You have equipment that has enough incident energy to require PPE at 40cal/cm in what I would expect to be a classified area???? I must be missing something here.
Don

jtb

Don,

I am not sure of the area classification within the booth areas, but I do know that the powder prime has a much lower percent of flammables. The reason for switching to powder prime is to eliminate VOC's. I will post more info as it becomes available if you want. Also, the new base coat will be water borne. At this time I do not know the area classification. The 40 cal suits are necessary for areas outside the booth areas, but will be used for lockout and test everywhere to eliminate purchase of additional lower rated arc flash equipment which is expensive and sometimes difficult to procure. At least that is my knowledge at this time (I have been here only 2 weeks, in old paint shop area).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jtp,
The reason that I ask is because once you get away from the high power equipment, the incident energy available may permit the use of standard heavy cotton coveralls. Making people use PPE that is so far in excess of what is actually required is one of the reasons many people get truned off of using the required PPE.
Don

jtb

Don,
Good point, I haven't run the numbers, and that may be the plan. I am watching as the program develops. I do know that the current word is 8 cal workshirts for all, 5 each. Can't wait to see the price tag on THAT order! Safety is worth the price though.

Status
Not open for further replies.