flexible cables above suspended ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I have been asked a perennial question. Can we put a receptacle above a suspended ceiling to plug in a condesnate pump.

Per NEC, 400.8 my pat answer is "no" not so much because of the receptacle but because of the intended use of a flexible cord up there.

I have heard from people who can't back it up, that this rule was some how relaxed and that now we can put receptacles above suspended ceilings. Is there any truth to this.

Does it matter if the space is a plenum or not? In this case, it is not a plenum.

Thanks,

Mike

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here is the rule in the '08 NEC.
I know of nothing that "relaxes" it.

ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables
400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

raider1

Staff member

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

I agree with Gus, and would like to add that there was no changes in the 2011 NEC that would relax the rule either.

Chris

WIMaster

I agree!
I have been asked this question many times and most people don't like my answer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Could you rewire the pump (or other item) in flex and have the recep. above the ceiling?

WIMaster

Could you rewire the pump (or other item) in flex and have the recep. above the ceiling?

As was stated before you can have the recep. you just can't plug a flexible cord in to it.
If you wire it with flex you would most likely need to take it directly into a j box and then you will need a disconnecting means for the motor.
I do not know of any cord caps that are listed for use with flex, but if anyone knows of one please let me know as it would be a good way to cure these situations.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

If the pump comes UL listed with a cord, IMO it would be a violation to replace the cord with a whip.

The correct thing to do would be to use a pump that was intended to be hardwired.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.